Friday, March 7, 2008

Day Two


First ride today. The camp officially starts tomorrow so there was just Peter, Paul, myself and Pete's friend and former athlete Randy Christofferson. Three very talented riders.
The plan (so I thought) was to ride to mile six on Mount Lemon and then head home for a three hour ride.
We were on the road at nine. Arm warmers and knee warmers were nice but not necessary. We took a roundabout route to the mountain and began the climb. I managed to stay with the gang till mile 3. I was actually pleased with that. I kept going, figuring I would go as far as I could before they hit mile 6 and turned around but somewhere along the line I missed a communication. I got to mile 6 and found it to be empty of any cyclists. I rode a little further ahead, coming to a switch back where I could see quite a ways ahead. No riders.
I turned around and started back down. My legs were burning and there's still 12 more training days ahead. My goal (one or them) is to make it the full distance with some dignity. I don't want to be in the penalty box until the end of the second camp!
I stopped a few times to take a few snaps (see above - that's mile 3, where I got dropped) but the trio never overtook. I rode home and clocked in 3 satisfying hours. An hour later they boys showed up. I guess the decision was made to carry on to Windy Point (mile 14). Glad I turned around.

No comments: