Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Day Fourteen - Final day of training


It was cool this morning but not as bad as yesterday. The decision was made to attempt the assault on Mount Lemon. I would take the van to mile 14, descend on my bike and go up with the crew. If they felt they wanted to go further OR the road was open to go further then we would.
I ended up driving as far as mile 12 where a sign declared that vehicles without chains or 4 wheel drive where not permitted to go further. I descended as fast as I could and may have lost an ear to frostbite, but I caught up with them at the mile and a half mark and started the climb up.
I ended up staying with one of the ladies who really wasn't sure she'd make it to the top. I got in a good workout myself by working on my power by putting it in the big ring.
We got to mile 12 to find the others had elected to continue on. Paul had had a conversation with a police officer who had informed him that the vehicles could go further so I jetted to the top with van while the woman I was riding with elected to keep going. She was working hard and the legs were starting to cramp so I was pretty impressed with her.
I passed everyone else on the way up and then again as I descended back down on my bike.
I caught up to Camile at mile 17!! I couldn't believe she'd gone that far but that was as far as she wisely elected to go. Paul was there with the second van so he was loading up her bike. I turned around and headed back to the top on my bike. With 8 miles to go to the top I knew I could get in a good workout and I also knew it would be my final workout, my final pedal strokes in Tucson. I turned up the Ipod and let slip the dogs of war! Finished up with a great ride to the top of Mount Lemon.
This has been one hell of a two weeks. My job now will be to carry it on when I return to the crappy Victoria weather. I've got a good training partner waiting for me there so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.



Camp 2 makes it to the top!!

2 comments:

Michael said...

Clint - The real question is did you have pie at the top. Sounds like us week 1 campers lucked out on the weather. At least the last few days in Tucson will prepare you for the weather back in the NW, yes it's still winter despite the calendar. - Michael V

Skippy Two Shoes said...

Are you kidding me? The cost of the pie paired with the "awesome" service made that second snickers bar very attractive! Yeah, you guys got the warmer weather but the hail and stuff was really interesting. Some memorable stuff.