Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Day Four - In the van

Woke up feeling like I'd lost a fight but at least the fight was over. I was determined to carry my weight and drive the van for the first workout of the camp. The troops were gathering in the parking lot and already the stress and excitement was palatable. Everyone was nervous about how they'd stack up against a bunch of stranger. Joe had flown 36 hours to arrive from Toronto, late the night before but sadly his bike failed to make the journey. Luckily Ian Dewar from Specialized was there with a truck full of fun things, including four stacked out Transitions for the campers to test out!! Joe would be doing his first ride on a new Transition. Eric rolled into the parking lot with two flat tires - one that required a hammer to fix (true story - and I hit Cliff's finger with that same hammer!)
Then to add to stress/excitement Jay Prasuhn senior editor from Triathlete Mag rolled in with his camera and a bike. His plan was to do a little shoot for half the ride then jump on the steed for the climb up Lemon (again, the plan was to go to mile 6).
Jay and I put Eric in the van to catch up to the group. So far I was feeling rough and pumping up those tires sure didn't help but I figured I'd be okay for the rest of the ride.
Five minutes later we came across Michael on the side of the road with flat number 3. Jay could easily work any wrench vehicle in the Tour. The boy could change a tire fast. But it was one more session on the bike pump for me. The stomach wasn't liking it. I would have to bow out if there was another flat and the mocking would be fierce.
Luckily there were no more incidents (though there was one more flat away from me).


Base of Lemon

The gang made it to mile six as planned, except for Cliff and Stevie who somehow missed the memo and kept going to mile 12. Unlucky!!


Mile six. Pete and Sam.



Ian from Specialized and Jay from Triathlete!!

After the ride it was back to the hotel where I did my best rest but a 50 min run was planned and I really wanted to make an apperance.

I actually started to feel better before the run and for about 47 seconds considered running. That feeling passed and we headed out to the run location - me in my flip flops.
Jay came along and took some more photos.
We saw a bunch of the Canadian Jr National Team out there training. They looked good.



Getting ready for the first run.



Jay Prasuhn on the run trail.



Clint feeling as yellow as his shirt

Made it home. Bed by 8:30!

2 comments:

JDB said...

Hey you smelly bastard, i wish i was down there rockin out with the clint man in the big van, yo check out my wing span, super fan, i'll show you the master plan it involves peter pan, gotta jet and get a tan.....man

Skippy Two Shoes said...

Hey Jazzy - you would not have wanted to be in the van with me on this day! We had to keep the windows down!!