Monday, March 17, 2008

Day Thirteen - Another lucky day


The Tucson Gang - note who has a drink in his hand.


Today the weather took a staggering turn. From beautifully warm - sunscreen needed - to 3 degrees and wet!! We all layered all out clothes and headed out for a 3 hour ride. The goal was to go to Colossal Caves and back home. The weather continued to be psychotic - rain, sun, hail, etc. But we all made it the three hours and everyone went out for a nice little transition. I tried out the pair of Newtons Pete gave me the other day. I quite liked them. Felt a little different but light and fast. I'll have to put a few more miles on them to really know for sure.
We had a swim and then a run drills session planned for the afternoon.
We got to the pool but there were some pretty black clouds looming in the west. Paul and I got in the water and the girls were getting ready on deck with the little lifeguard came out to tell us the pool was closing because of lightening.
150 yards isn't much of a workout but we got it in!
The
So it was out of the pool and a nice little run drill set in the field beside the pool.
We didn't want to but the girls had heard of Tri Sport and wanted to do some shopping so Pete and I sucked it up and took them there. The second trip was much more satisfying. A manager there - Mike something was exceedingly helpful and made us feel really welcome. I picked up a pair of the sockless Zoots. I'm jazzed to try them out. I'm all about the sockless running!
Tomorrow was to be the groups assault on Mount Lemon but with the foul weather we're a little concerned about about the situation up there. The girls REALLY want to give it a shot so we're going to take two vehicles up there and if anyone wants to tap out they can put themselves and their bikes in a van. We heard there was six inches of snow that fell at 5000 yesterday. The hill climbs to 8000 feet. It's going to be a challenge.
Tomorrow is the last day of workouts. Wednesday Peter and I fly back to Vancouver.
I would dearly love to get in one more day of riding, just to see how the body would do.
I must confess today was the first day I really started to feel the miles. I was all I could do to pull the women home in the last hour of today's ride. There was a bit of a head wind and I was working hard out there. At one point I suddenly looked up and honestly didn't really know where I was. It was the strangest thing that's ever happened to me on a bike. It took me several minutes to figure out what the hell was going on. I honestly couldn't recall anything of the last 25'. I wasn't bonking and I felt fine. It was like I was hypnotized or something. Both Pete and Paul told me they had experienced similar events at times in their riding past.
Very strange.
Oh well, another one for the books.

A FEW RANDOM SHOTS FROM IAN AT SPECIALIZED:


1/2 of Pete looking very happy to be riding!



Full service coaching.

No comments: