Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Day Five - My first workout with the camp

Slept badly. Tossing and turning.
The boys gave me the option of taking van duty again but I was feeling much better - not 100% but not less than 80%.
So the riders were divided into three groups - an A, B and C group. Not shockingly I took the C group.
The plan was to peak Gates Pass and come straight home. For the C group that would mean about 2.5 hours.

Gates Pass

The pace was pleasant and the day was perfect. One of the girls in my group had run a marathon a week earlier was was having a pretty tough go of it but she was game and we all made it up the six mile climb.

Gates Pass Peak
We were just prepping to go back down the hill when Pete called out "Hey, you gotta come over the peak a bit and see this!" I told the group I'd be right back and headed over to see what was up.
Typical Pete - it was what was down!! He figured I should just do down the back side.
HOLY CLIFF!
The climb up the front is 6 miles. The back side? 2 MILES!!!
I couldn't say no. I fell down the back side and clawed my way back up.
The group was patient and waited for me!
Home ride was uneventful.
Had a one hour nap after that was the best sleep I'd since leaving Canada.


A forty minute run was planned for the evening so we headed to a little park beside some dry gulch that we ended up running along. I was feeling okay but still not great.
Ended up running by myself and was the only one who actually ran 40 minutes. Everyone else went at least 45. Those guys better start listening to their coaches!!!

No comments: