Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Tuesday Night Bloodletting

In San Diego they have the Wednesday Night Ride. In the Tucson there's the Saturday Shootout. In cities around the cycling world there's a notorious ride. In my home town of Victoria, British Columbia we have the Tuesday Night Bloodletting.
Some four or five years ago one of my best friends, Jim Pearson sent an email out on a Tuesday morning, calling for a ride starting at 5 PM. The meeting place was a Starbucks in the Quadra McKenzie area. Six of us showed up - and we kept showing up every Tuesday at five there after. We were a pretty relaxed bunch then. The only shit disturber then was Xterra stud, Michael Vine. The rides were fun and we changed the routes each ride. Soon the numbers grew and the venue changed to the Paridisio Cafe, downtown Victoria. The quality of the riders seemed to increase with each ride and so too did the pace. Now there are 20-25 riders who show up like clock work. Most of them are Cat 1-3 riders and even a few pros from time to time. The ride outgrew me and many of the other regulars who had previously enjoyed the routine.
With the pace and numbers the route, by necessity was forced to become ridged. It's the waterfront and then out to the farmlands each week.
The ride is put on hold over the winter months and generally starts up in early March each year. My last ride with the group was early last season. In the past, the first few weeks of the new season was witness to civilized paces and pleasant conversation. Last year they were hitting out of the gate. A few Tuesdays of jettisoning after about 15 to 10 minutes and I didn't bother going any more. Going into this season I was a little fitter than in previous years and I figured with a few big races coming up, I should take another kick at the can. I told Pete (who is well familiar with the ride) that maybe I should think about testing my metal before the ride gets too crazy. He agreed it was a good idea - like that's a shock. A part of me was sure hoping he'd say no! The first two rides took place while I was in Tucson and Pete didn't want me to go on the third one as it was an unload week for me.
The fourth ride of the year took place tonight and I was scheduled to be there when they rolled out at 5:05 sharp.
And just so there was no confusion on how I was to ride it, this was Peter's instructions to me:

"Tuesday night bloodletting - don't get dropped!!!!!
Consider this a race effort - you must stay with group - so dig deep!!!!"

Now I knew that he didn't really expect me to stay with the group for the whole ride but I also knew he expected my absolute best attempt to stay with them for as long as possible.
It was an exciting night.

TO BE CONTINUED.

No comments: