Thursday, April 24, 2008

Back to the Treadmill

So yesterday I was to repeat the treadmill death march from the previous week - only this session was to run a mere 30'. Now that might seem easier but all it means is that you hit the dark place a lot sooner. Just to recap - the drill is to start flat and slow and increase the incline and speed every five mintues - timing it so that the last 5' of increased put you in danger of failing.
This time I didn't screw up. I started the machine out faster and jumped the inclines by 2% each 5'.
I was a still a bit sore from the downhill run on Sunday but not bad at all.
Here's how it went:

MpM
0-5 0% 11:00 AvHR 115
5-10 2% 10:30 AvHR 129
10-15 4% 10:00 AvHR 145
15-20 6% 9:30 AvHR 157
20-25 8% 9:10 AvHR 171
Warm down - AvHR 133

Probably one of the best 30' I've ever spent running. I felt strong. Could not have run another 5 seconds at the final pace and incline.

My weight is holding at 170. In some ways this is a bit discouraging but in others it's not.
I got back from Tucson and was 169. In the past 172 has been a barrier I've been unable to come under. I have the feeling if I can hold this weight for just a little longer I'll start to see another drop. Any day now!!!

On the coaching side of things I'm busy and loving it.
Heather is ready for Wildflower and I'm really enjoying a few new athletes I just begun working with - Kim Hager and Teresa Copeland.
Rachel Keirs is going to brave the chill waters at the Cultus Lake Oly in two weeks and I think she's going to surprise herself.
I now have an "all welcome" swim Tuesday mornings at Crystal Pool, 7:30-9 (with thanks to Steve Chater and Team X!!) I've been working to establish something like this for some time but pool space in Victoria is a rare commodity.

No comments: