Thursday, May 8, 2008

Real Race Report

Okay, enough glibness.
I started this blog for fun but also for athletes and coaches to exchange ideas and maybe we all learn something. I sure as hell hope I've learned something!

This was the first race I looked forward to doing from a results point of view since I first stopped racing in the early 90s.
I'm by no means at the top of my game but I'd been consistent and injury free for several months. My weight was down and I had confidence in my taper.
I was well hydrated going into the day. I'd kept a water bottle in my hand constantly in the week leading up to the event. I was in the john every hour and clear as spring water.
I knew I wasn't going to be setting any records out there but I thought I should be capable of a pretty good race - certainly under 5:30.

The Race

I stood at the front of my age group on the start line. I planned to start the swim aggressively and get in a good pack for the first buoy at 200m. 30" from the start some dick the size of a Mack truck came crawling out of the water and stood right in front of me. I asked him if he would be swimming under 27' (4' faster than I'd swam in 20 years) he said no and stepped aside.
With less than 10" to the gun I realized my goggles were sitting on my forehead. I quickly flipped them down and the gun went off.
I charged into the drink and dove - and was instantly half blind. In my haste to get my goggles on my face I didn't seat the left one properly. I ignored it as best I could and kept up the sprint to the buoy. The plan worked well. I saw one stud for sure had pulled away but I had managed to stay with the lead pack and find clear water. In fact it was a little too clear. I don't think I swam two stokes on anyone's feet the entire swim.
After the buoy and things settled down I took a moment to adjust my goggle and carry on.
Soon I began to overtake the slower swimmers from the younger age groups. The rest of the swim was an obstacle course. I came across one unfortunate fellow doing the breast stroke. The guy probably thought I was an aspiring proctologist. We exchanged numbers and soon I hit the turn around - which is really a double right turn.
Another rookie mistake alert here. I didn't know exactly the route to return to the dock. I've always just assumed I'd have lots of guys to follow. Now I looked up and all I saw was a sea of multi coloured caps and buoys. Long story short (or a short swim long) I went for the wrong buoy. I eventually realized my mistake and corrected my path. It probably cost me about 50m.
Out of the water I checked my watch and was pleased to see 30:32. That's a good time for me - about 30" faster than I thought I would go. It's only 30" but when you go faster than you hoped then it's always good.
Got on the bike and headed out. Great start. I kept myself under control and passed a steady stream of slower younger riders. No one in my age group was catching me.
But it was starting to get pretty hot. At the first aid station I grabbed a bottle of water to go with my bottle of super dense Carbo Pro (800 calories).
I sip the CP and grab water at each aid station. It's what I've done for years and it works for me.
I also figured it was time to pop a few Thermolytes. I kept them in an empty Nuun bottle.
Rookie mistake number three - don't go for pills when descending at 40k an hour. I popped the Nuun bottle, instantly hit a bump and my Thermolytes flew like chicklets down the street.
5' later I reached for my Carbo Pro and realized it, along with my water bottle, had jettisoned - rookie mistake number four. Two elastic bands attached to the cage then looped over the bottle nipples and I'd have had my water and calories throughout.
It was a long way to the next aid station. Some dude riding beside me, going for his sainthood badge gave me one of his water bottles. I was extremely grateful. I wish I'd gotten his race number and looked him up later.
After that there's little to say. There was no big moment where I smashed into a wall it was just a steady decline in performance.
The middle 1/3 of the race was tough but I held my ground. The last 1/3 of the race I started to feel queer. Something wasn't right but I just couldn't put my finger on it. My arms were shaking and I had the chills. I had come to terms with the fact I was going to come in with a slow bike time but I never considered dropping out. I figured I'd shake it off in the run.
I wracked my bike with a 3:06.
As soon as I started running I knew I was dehydrated. My tongue felt like a stick in my mouth. I borrowed a page from Pete's book and was aggressive at each station. I walked while drinking and dousing but it was too late. Within a few hundred meters of each station my mouth was dry again.
I hobbled to the finish line in 2:14:24
I was thinking of heading down to the lake and jumping in but a med guy was suddenly in my face and suggesting I go with him. It sounded like a good idea.
Things went bad after that.
I'd never suffered from heat stroke before and it's no fun. I was in there for 2 hours and two bags of IV plus a litre of Gatorade. Four hours later I pee'd for the first time.

My race plan doesn't change much from race to race. 300-400 calories and a bottle of liquid an hour. I stuck to that for WF but in that heat I needed to adjust and probably as much as double the water intake. The salt tablets would have helped as well.

For what it's worth, that's how the day went.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a stud

Skippy Two Shoes said...

You mean like a stiff board?

Anonymous said...

You RIP Clinty...nice work bro, no shame in that. WF is a hilly tough course and for a white canuck coming off the coldest spring in 30 years, good for you to get through it.

Skippy Two Shoes said...

Thanks!
I'll look forward to getting through it again - only a little swifter and a lot more comfortable, in the future.