Monday, May 19, 2008

Negotiate with thy self

So yesterday I ran an hour forty three. I carried a Nathan Fuel Belt loaded with four bottles. This is something new for me but after the malfunction at Wildflower I figured I could use a little work consuming liquid while working out. I'm doing the same on my rides as well. I've always been a light drinker but I've never paid for it like I did a few weeks ago.
The run went well. No real problems and I managed to drink all forty ounces with no bad belly side effects. 30 oz of Nuunified water and 10 oz of Gatorade. I also had a few gels with me but didn't use them. The belt, fully loaded, weighs better than 3 lbs. Incredible how much you feel those 3 lbs on your waist. I'm more determined than ever to lose more weight. I'm floating between 167-170 these days. I'd like to lose a few more of those Nathan belts!!
So, like I said, no real problems - except getting out the damn door.
How many people can relate to that?
I love to race but I also love training. I don't normally have much of a hard time getting out the door but I sure did yesterday. I'd swum hard in the morning and had a pretty solid bike the day before. I was tired.
The plan was to run 1:30 right after the swim, eat, nap and then run 30' later.
I put on my kit sat on the sofa for just a moment - and woke up 35' later, more tired than when I'd sat down.
That's when the negotiations began.
Some time ago Lance Watson put into words what most of already knew in hearts - sometimes you have to deal with yourself to get in a challenging session.
I started by shortening the runs 1:15 now, 20' later. I was still disheartened.
So then I figured if I just got in 1:30 I could call it a good day.
Not good enough. I'd have to bring out the big gun - McDonald's!
If I got in the 1:30 there would be a Big Mac at the end of the road.
I was out the door and running. In the end I managed 1:43 of good running.
It's usually the case. Once you start, you get it done.
The Big Mac was as good as I imagined it would be!!
But here's a promise - it'll be at least 4 weeks before I play that card again.

Swam out at Thetis today. The water was great!

No comments: