Sunday, October 11, 2009

Putting the Me in M dot


I would like to compete in the Kona Ironman World Championships.
If, one day, I'm fortunate enough to find myself on the start line I'm not going to race for recovery, the planet, polar bears or Jesus.
I won't be running for the cure, rolling for the Blazeman or Living Strong
I'm not going to raise money for battered women, battered children or battered dogs.
I won't be raising awareness for Aids, Crohn's, MS or Osteogenesis Imperfecta.
I've done some of these things before. They've allowed me to paint my performances with a nice stroke of humility and healthy dose of "It doesn't matter to me. There's a much bigger picture." But if I'm able to work hard enough to qualify for Hawaii then I am going to race for Me. My goal will be to have the best day I can possibly have.
Actually that's still a load of sanctimonious crap. What I really want. What I really, really want is to beat as many people as I can.
I have got to be one of the worst guys ever.

5 comments:

s said...

Did you come up with this yourself? You just put into words my mantra for going to Kona!

PS - congrats on the engagement! What a dream proposal

Skippy Two Shoes said...

Yup - came up with it all by myself. You can use it as your mantra though!

Julie said...

Love it! You are definitely not the "worst" guye ever, only one of the very few *honest* people out there.

I've never raised money for any athletic event (unless you count "Jump Rope for Heart" in 1988...) and the prospect just doesn't float my boat.

I race for ME! ME, ME, ME!

Dominic said...

I don't think you're the worst guy ever, but you must be one of the most honest....I respect that!

Anonymous said...

Clint - spoke true "old school" - remember that Ironman Hawii was started by Navy Seals - they didn't really care about anything but laying a true "beat down" on their fellow human beings. How I miss the old days.... RB