Sunday, July 13, 2008

What a perfect day for a race.

The Vancouver 1/2 Ironman

I came over early to help the boys set up the finish line but to also support three of my athletes racing.
Irvin Tang, battling a tight hip for the past many months, was finally feeling like he wanted to test it out in the sprint event.
Nick Gottfried was tackling the full 1/2 IM as was Rachel Kiers.
Friday night was a nice little VIP affair where the press was introduced to the race favorites and I showed up for that to support Rachel.
A handful of the pro women were invited to the mic to say a few words at the event.
Rachel was not invited. I was a little put off at first but after a brief consideration I was glad. Everyone loves an underdog.
I knew that many of the women at that mic had been racing both Ironmans and 70.3s recently - but Rachel was ready to race.
We had selected this as one of her A priority races this year. She was tapered and ready to rip it up. I predicted she'd go under 4:40.
The race favourite - Bree Wee, an outstanding athlete, had done a 9:37 at Ironman Japan just three weeks earlier. That's a world class effort but three weeks is a short time to recover from a world class effort. Heather Wurtele had displayed a similar effort herself on the same weekend at CDA and in the end we felt it was not in her best interest to go to the well again so soon. She regretted not being able to race but the bigger picture was Ironman Canada in August.
Cheryl Murphy was also racing and some of her recent run times made her a clear threat for the win out there. She not a strong swimmer but when you can run a 1:11 1/2 marathon you're dangerous and she's not weak on the bike either.
Last year the swim at this race was a gong show but the race organizers had learned. The course was set up clean and clear and the swim went off without a hitch.
Predictably Bree rolled out of the chuck first with a solid 25:50.
Less than 2.5 minutes later Rachel come out in 5th.
As I mentioned, Murphy is not a strong swimmer but I was impressed with her 33:47. Right then and there I thought it would be nearly impossible to keep her off the front.
But up at the front of the race there was some unfortunate business unfolding.
Rachel had quickly moved into second place and had Bree in her sites when Bree, following a motorcycle cop, went off course. Rachel, who was intimate with the course, didn't follow. By the time Bree figured out her mistake she'd lost at least three minutes - this coming from Rachel's husband who was at the offending corner. Sadly Chris Brown and Andriy Yastrebov had also make the same mistake when they'd passed the same turnaround.
Rachel continued to put time on Bree and the other girls. She came off the bike 5' up on Bree and nearly 10' on Cheryl.
Now the would come the run.
My thinking was Rachel could run close to a 1:30 but Murphy would likely run under 1:20. Bree was a bit of an unknown for me because one just can't predict what effect an IM three weeks earlier would have on her legs. Whatever that effect was going to be, I didn't think it would be good.
Maybe it was for the best, but the night before I'd agreed to run the 13 miles on a relay team so I was out on the course as the drama unfolded. Had I been standing at the finish line waiting I likely would have been bald by the time they got to the tape.

I saw Rachel twice out there. The second time she was 3k from the finish. She was running well and gave me one of her trademark smiles. I was feeling a bit delirious from my own efforts out there but it seemed to me I didn't take too many steps past her when Murphy came along like a thoroughbred and not much farther behind her was a fast moving Bree Wee. I was okay with this. The podium was safe. After she was pretty much ignored at the press conference this was satisfying - but more than that, it was clear she was having a good race and our plan had worked.
I considered pulling out of the race so I could watch the show but when you're on a relay you have responsibilities, besides there were only two other teams in our division so I was assured of winning a really nice New Balance hat.
So there I was out running the last five k when who should come over the rise but Ms Kiers, come back to fill me in.
"What happened?!" I yelled. She smiled and said "She caught me at the finish line. I thought she must have been talking about Bree.
"What place!?!?" I yelled.
"Second." she said.
Oh man, I was primed! She'd held Murphy off till the final steps. Obviously I would have liked to see her win but there is no shame in being run down by Cheryl Murphy.
In the end she was second by five seconds. I'm sure Rachel would like to have the 24 seconds back she lost to Cheryl in transition but she can sleep well tonight knowing she is on track to becoming one hell of a triathlete. I was proud of her out there today. She ran one damn tough race.
In other news, Irvin had a successful return to racing. The injury that has been plaguing him seems to be on its way out and Nick pulled of a respectful 4:55 - that with a 4' drafting ding. I guess on the four loop bike course things got a bit crowded out there in spots.
Funny thing was, even with the 4' penalty, Nick came in lucky 13th - but would have been 13th anyway. And he still pulled off a 2nd in his age group. The kid's got a future!

IMC next!


Bree and Rachel after the race -
with some stalker guy and a Japanese
chef standing behind them.

2 comments:

BreeWee said...

Hi Clint!!
Bree here, I was searching to see of Rachel had a blog or website so I could email her some photos... then your blog popped up!

You did a nice honest recap of the race and I have to be SUPER honest with you... I was so embarrassed by the fact that Rachel was not given the mic at the vip thing... I never wanted to chat and it felt weird that a local girl wasn't even able to speak. In my home of Kona they always ALWAYS let the locals say something... I instantly took to her and liked her so much from that point on. She was lady like and graceful about it. AND I am not sure if she told you but the entire ride and run I was cheering for her as if she was my sister, I too wanted the underdog to get up there and show em' how its done!
I know post Japan I was cooked so she was my favorite... I am really looking forward to tracking her this season and seeing her at IM Canada! Tell her she has my cheering always and it is fun to be a rookie pro with her this season.

Skippy Two Shoes said...

You're a class act, Bree. When Rachel's husband called me during the race to say Rachel took the lead I was over the moon but I quickly deflated when I learned how she got that lead. You never want to win a race that way. I have NO doubt that had you stayed on course that would a have been a 3 horse finish. The fans were robbed of what could have been a legendary tape breaking!!
And I don't blame the race organizers for overlooking Rachel. Really her claim to fame before this race was a win at Shawnigan Lake 1/2 a few months earlier and she wasn't really challenged. It would be easy for me to say they dropped the ball on that one but that's because I knew how fit she was, how tapered and how ripping she was to race. We had her tighter than a piano wire for this one.
She won't be flying under the radar for much longer.
She came out and met me right after the race (I was shuffling through the run) and one of the first thing she told me was "Bree cheered hard for me every time we passed each other!" You made a fan out of her.
I'm trying to line up Heather Wurtele to do some training with you guys this week. Hopefully that works out. You guys would have some great sessions together. She's another class act!!
Well, you keep up the good work! We'll sure be cheering for you this season!!