Sunday, December 7, 2008

Check Your Ethics


Over the last few months I've found myself in some "interesting" ethical situations.
And one thing I'm learning is that being in the right doesn't make one right.
Just because you have the "law" on your side doesn't mean you're the hero.
Lord knows, doing the right thing is not always easy and some times it costs you - dearly, but in the long run you will sleep better knowing you did your best to do the right thing.
And really, we almost always know what we should do, it's just doing it that proves difficult.

The real evil isn't the action - it's the rationalizations we pull out of our ass after we do what serves us and not the greater good.

2 comments:

Dominic said...

My dad used to tell me to listen to that "little voice". Many times I wanted that "little voice" to shut up but I have to admit that little voice was always right!

It can be very difficult to do the right thing but, as you point out, the difference is in how we perceive ourselves. Looking at our reflection in a mirror is easier when the right thing to do was done.

I suppose psychopaths listen to their little voice as well, only that little voice tells them something else....

Skippy Two Shoes said...

Well said.
We've all been in the situation where it's just best to avoid the mirror for awhile. The trick is to limit that time to a minimum.